Tuesday, February 5, 2008

February, Lent and Other Gists

Hey everyone! I hope you are having a great week. It's February and not just that, it's the fifth day already! Time is really flying by. This year, February has 29 days so make the most of the extra one! I trust that you had a great time in the last month and are looking forward to the rest of the year. Even if January wasn't so great, well there is the rest of the year to look forward to.

Usually about this time, a lot of New Year resolutions have been forgotten or discarded. If you made any resolutions at the beginning of the year, are you still keeping them? Or have your resolutions been swept under the carpet, in the busyness of day-to-day life? Filed somewhere between "I'll come to that later" and "I don't have time"? Or perhaps you've just simply forgotten about it and gone back to business as usual. It is really hard to make changes in life and procrastinating is one of the main stumbling blocks to progress. Sometimes I've made resolutions with all seriousness and before I know it, I've found myself slipping back to my old ways. It takes time and concerted effort to change or break a familiar pattern or habits. So if you really want to change something, keep at it and if you fail once or twice, don't give up. Pick yourself up and start again.

Speaking of resolutions, the period of Lent is upon us again. It seems to have come earlier this year hasn't it? Anyway, this afternoon my friend and I were talking about what we could give up for 40 days. At first I thought my life is pretty boring - I don't watch much TV, don't drink, don't smoke, don't eat too much chocolate, etc - so what could I give up? Then I thought, well I do spend too much time on Facebook. So that's what I'll be doing, no Facebook for me for the next 40 days. I'm actually looking forward to it. I think I will find that not going on facebook for a while will free up my time to do more productive things! I'll let you all know how it goes.

Update on my last post: I'm back at work! Yeah I decided to take up my previous employer's offer and I started again yesterday. When I walked into the reception yesterday morning, everyone was like, "Hey, welcome back!" "Did you have a good time off?" "How come you're back?" etc etc. It feels funny and yet familiar to be back at my old job, seeing my old colleagues and getting familiar with the things I used to do a few months ago. It's only till August though, so I'm not planning to put down any firm roots. There's no way I would stay in the job permanently, knowing what I now know. I would never be fulfilled in my career being an accountant again so I have to keep up with my writing. Someone said to me "Now you are back and soon it will feel like you never left". I smiled when she said that, but in my mind I knew it will never be the same. I've tasted what it feels to be free of the "dead-end job" trap and I know that I never want to be stuck in it for the rest of my life. Life is too short to be wasting my time in an unfulfilling job! That's what will motivate me to continue pursuing my other career goals because my dreams, goals, passion and skills are not in this profession. I'm doing this because I need some liquidity! I had actually forgotten about the journey to work aspect, so it's been funny getting back into the rush hour commuting malarkey again. That's the one part I definitely won't miss when I leave in the summer.

As Lent begins tomorrow, it's Pancake Day today! I'm making some, and I plan to eat them with bananas and whipped cream, absolutely delicious. Have fun eating yours and enjoy the rest of the week. Stay blessed.

4 comments:

  1. Girlfriend, u finally went back to work.........hey am first today. I hope work goes well for ya. Miss ya. Life is short, have fun while you can. See ya later on facebook. 40 days no facebook. MAdam, ya rite.lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Second....

    Lovely post dear. Ahhh, new yr resolutions, interesting thing to think abt...time really flies, it's already feb!!!

    Loll...enjoy ur time off facebook, it can really be a distraction...true. Glad u've found joy in not settling for an unfulfilling job, there's nothing like a feeling of freedom to indulge in one's passion!!!!! Congratulationssss....*wink*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Lent. Giving up Facebook is great.

    Enjoy the month of February, take care and update!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back.. how's Lent coming along? :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...