Monday, October 16, 2006

Rethinking my Career

Lately I have been wondering if I made the right career choice to become an accountant. I've been doing some research into myself. What I've done is to find out what really interests me, my strengths, my skills, the things I'm good at, my talents, what I actually enjoy doing with my time, what my hobbies are, what I would spend the rest of my life doing if I didn't have to work for money. I've found out some very interesting things. Some of them are things that I have known all along, but I never connected them rationally, or thought they should have a bearing on my jobs and career choices.
Here goes: I am a creative person, I like drawing and designing, I am a thinker, I like analysing things, I am curious, I am observant, I am introspective, I enjoy reading, I enjoy writing , I enjoy research, I enjoy my own company, I value my independence, I like flexibility, I'm interested in languages, I make up stories in my head so I am a good story teller...... etc.

It's like a light bulb was just switched on in my head! What am I doing pursuing a career in Accounting? I will end up stifling the real me and letting my talents rot if I don't develop them and use them fully. Armed with this new insight, I did a personal career assessment on http://www.prospects.ac.uk/ , now that was quite useful. I entered my new-found skills into their assessment page "What Jobs Would Suit Me?" and I was really amazed at the results.

Apparently, the best job matches to my skills are: Photographer , Ceramics/pottery designer , Fashion designer , Graphic designer , Magazine journalist , Newspaper journalist , Writer , Operational researcher , Academic librarian , Social researcher and Market researcher
These results are like wow! Where have I been? Why have I been wasting my time pursuing a career that I don't like? When I could be doing something that I would love, and would actually be good at naturally. Of course this calls for a decision. And it's not an easy one. It seems like I would have to leave Accounting and start doing something else sooner or later. I admit I'm a bit scared. I would have to leave my current job and the regular income. I will probably have to re-train by taking some courses in my new chosen field. I would have to start learning new things again from scratch. I would be leaving certainty for uncertainty. And if I do manage to start myself up, there are no guarantees that I will make money for my efforts. Hmmm. God help me. But I will have to bite the bullet. I can't remain unfulfilled and miserable in my career for much longer.

1 comment:

  1. Wow thatz a huge step u r trying to take right there,but life is all abt risks sha.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...